8.07.2008

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog!
Good to see you, or good to see you again if you are coming over from my old home. I started blogging about my hobbies and day-to-day life about 3 years ago and recently found myself writing more and more about my experiences as a science graduate student. So, this is my new forum to focus on the issues faced by graduate students, women in science, dual-career couples, long distance marriages, and whatever else may come my way as I finish my Ph.D. and figure out what comes next.

The Wandering Albatross (Diomedea exulans) is a seabird in the Southern hemisphere and is know to have the largest wingspan of any living bird species. They were also considered a good omen to sailors back in the old sailing days. I'm quite tall and once, a friend trying to call me an Amazon messed it up and called me an albatross. Given my science-y nature, I do quite a bit of wandering but even more wondering*.








*I love a good pun.

6 comments:

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

The albatross is one of my favorite birds!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Albatross alway make me think of the mystery story game I used to play with my campers.

Love the banner!

Anonymous said...

i'm a sucker for a good pun too. :)

love the new look!

(and nadine--makes me think of that game too!)

Albatross said...

Brazen- That means a lot coming from such a bird enthusiast!

Nadine- I don't know that game but will have to look it up. Thanks- the Grackle graciously let me steal his picture.

Luckybuzz- Thanks! I'm glad someone will appreciate them =)

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Just figured out who you were!! And guess what? I've seen and even touch albatrosses - they're great birds despite the myths of sailors.

EcoGeoFemme said...

Aha! I found you. I've been meaning to email to get the new blog info, but now I have it. Neat.