1.26.2009

Undercover Blogger

Things are going well with the new position. I am knee deep in unorganized data (OMG!! organize your files, people!) and fancy programs that I don't understand. Fun all around. 

My 'office' space is actually a corner in the lab. There are two grad students who sit right behind me*. Undergrads abound. I really hate sitting anywhere with my back exposed. At restaurants, Grackle is kind enough to always take the aisle seat. Nothing gives me comfort like a corner booth. Additionally, it is never good to have your computer facing the masses. There was a grad student at my last institution whose desk faced a wall near their office door. That student played a lot of online games and everyone that walked by saw it. People don't take them too seriously. So having a computer that faces your entire lab would make it difficult to check your facebook, or your twitter, or cuteoverload and especially your pseudonymous blog. This is my current situation. I'm calling about getting internet installed at home today.  



*They are both at class right now. 

5 comments:

Sneks said...

You should definitely get internet at home (so you can blog more AND watch TV online ... oh, and work from home)! But maybe you should also invest in one of those black-out screen covers. That way they can't read what you're doing! I bet Grackle could find you a good one!

Miss ya lots, but happy you have new data!

ScienceGirl said...

Glad to hear things are starting out well! I am sure your 12-foot wingspan can handle that learning curve!

P.S. I hear you on the screen facing lab matter - I am only commenting here because everyone else is gone for a meeting!

Wayfarer Scientista said...

It does feel weird doesn't it, when anyone can read your screen.

Albatross said...

Sciencegirl- the span certainly helps at the bench!

Wayfarer- I feel like I should take my beach-y vacation pictures off of my screensaver...

The Ridger, FCD said...

Oh, screensavers don't count!