3.12.2009

RBOC

  • An rboc post is better than no post, right?
  • I have been trying to write a post about students, their hang-ups, anxieties and how to deal with them. I have my own as well, but they have never kept me from doing my work (they'll keep me from submitting my work, but even that gets done- see next bullet). Really, I just want students to take responsibility for their own work. I don't care if you are afraid of driving in any type of weather. If you have experiments to do, you better figure out how to get over it and show up. 
  • My first paper from my dissertation got rejected today. It wasn't even reviewed. I suppose I should follow my own advice- figure out how to get over it and resubmit the thing. This won't happen for at least 3 weeks.
  • I leave in less than 36 hours for my research trip. Things are not exactly ready. Tomorrow is going to be a long day of arranging details. Methods for the intensive research scheduled for after the trip are also not ready. I thought I had ironed out all the details last week, then trying to replicate them today was a total disaster. 
  • These two previous bullets are serious bummers. Getting out of here and getting some research underway will be a major improvement!
  • One little thing I haven't mentioned yet-- my PI is pregnant! This is the real reason I am leading the research trip on my own. Rt-H is due in a little over a month. It is really inspiring to see how it is possible to be pre-tenure with a young family (this is her second in under 2 years) on a day-to-day basis.  More on this in the future. 
  • I have to get back to packing! 

6 comments:

Psych Post Doc said...

Sorry about the paper.

I hope the research trip is productive and makes you feel like a research rock star. :)

Albatross said...

Thanks PPD. I just keep trying to remind myself that it happens to everyone. Luckily I am too busy with the trip (or, umm, blogs) to dwell on it too much =)

Mad Hatter said...

Sorry to hear about the paper. It definitely happens to everyone. And to some of us, it has even happened multiple times with the same paper. Good luck with the research trip and the resubmission!

ScienceGirl said...

Sorry about the paper... I hope your research trip goes well!

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Bummer. :-( I hope you have a fabulously productive trip!!

Albatross said...

Thanks for all the rejection support and well wishes for the trip!