9.06.2008

Dot-ology

One of the cool things about my department is that students are put in offices with students from other labs and walks of research life. My two officemates are basically both in different programs. At another university, we would all be in different departments. Despite this, when we get into the data collection phase, we all speak the same language because when it comes down to it, we all just count dots. After careful and difficult manipulations, one officemate counts different colored dots, the other counts differently shaped dots and I have done quite a bit of dot counting in my time as well.
Currently, I am seeing what happens to a dot over time and the way my experiments were run, I can observe my dots from the comfort of my AC lacking, cat and dog filled home*. Unfortunately, collecting dot data is tedious and boring. After a few hours, I can hardly see straight and my mind is mush. I am about halfway through and can't wait to be done.

...back to the dots....








* post coming soon on wonders of working from home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Working from home can be the definite paradox of productivity. Sometimes I do my work and it's awesome, other times I don't do my work and then I wish I would have gone into the office.

Thanks for the comment on my blog!

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Ahhh....air conditioning. Unfortunately, all the dot counting I did in graduate school had to be done in the building. So I never really learned how to work at home...although now that I'm in the real world, I don't think that's such a bad thing: I keep my work at work! :)

Albatross said...

Academic- But is the office as hit or miss as working from home? Mine is! If my advisor finds out I'm there I won't get anything done all day!

Unbalanced- Keeping work and home separate is something I've always strived for and always failed miserably at. But will make for a good blog post....
=)